Pages

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Just One Day

16150043
 
Just One Day by Gayle Forman
Published January 10 2013 Random House
 
I *adore* this book. So much that I put off writing the review in fear I won't do it justice. I still probably won't so my best advice is to read it yourself - beg, borrow (don't steal) a copy, find a nice comfy reading spot, hunker down and absorb it all.
 
Allyson is on a summer tour of Europe. Its a before-college present from her parents. In Stratford-Upon-Avon she does something very un-Allyson like and skips the RSC performance booked by the tour in favour of a guerrilla street performance of Twelfth Night. There she meets Willem, a Dutch actor in the troupe. Eyes meet....smiles are exchanged...and...Allyson continues her tour heading to London.
 
Do you believe in fate? Willem and Allyson meet again on the train to London. She laments missing Paris (there was a strike so the visit was cancelled) so Willem offers to show her Paris on his way home to the Netherlands. And off they go.
 
Their time in Paris is wonderfully descriptive. Every time I read about the city of light I wish I was back there.
 
Allyson and Willem's story changes now and I can't say how as it will spoil it for you.
 
Just One Day is a perfect, heartbreaking romance. It ends on a cliffhanger and I received its sequel Just One Year for Christmas *happy dance*. Fabulous writing from Gayle Forman.

No comments:

Post a Comment