Pages

Sunday 26 January 2020

And the Mountains Echoed


And the Mountains Echoed
By Khaled Hosseini
Published by Bloomsbury 8 May 2014

This was a Book Club choice and I approached it with trepidation for two reasons. Firstly, I had heard such good things about Hosseini's writing and yet not read his work so I was concerned I would be disappointed as can often be the case surrounding hype, and secondly, that I had not yet read fiction set in Afghanistan and thought I may struggle with the pronunciation of names / locations and understanding the culture of the Afghan people. 

Neither concern was founded. This was a wonderful read. It began with the retelling of an Afghan myth - a father abandoning his child to save the rest of the family. This myth becomes reality for 10 year old Abdullah and his younger sister Pari when, in 1952, Pari is given by her father to a rich, childless couple living in Kabul. 

I could not put this book down. The characters! The plot! Heartbreaking, fascinating, emotional and tender it left me feeling whole, and wholly in love with the novel. The Book Club members loved it too - those who had read Hosseini before have encouraged me to read his other works; The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns and Sea Prayer and more than one revealed they would like to read more myths and folktales from Afghanistan. My copy now sits on my bookcase, patiently awaiting the other three books. 

I'll finish similarly to how I started, but this time with two recommendations. Don't be put off by the unknown or let your confidence get the better of you. Pick up a book and try it. Also, join a Book Club. They are everywhere now - online, at your local Library, in Coffee Shops and Bars. Share your love of reading and dare to be brave in reading something new to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment