Pages

Sunday 26 January 2020

Stancliffe's Hotel


Stancliffe's Hotel
By Charlotte Bronte

No. 126 Penguin Little Black Classics published 3 March 2016

I have read Jane Eyre. It was many years ago mind and a book I should probably re-read at some point. I knew Charlotte Bronte had also written Shirley, Villette and The Professor but I was not aware she had created, along with her brother Branwell, the world of Angria ruled by the Duke of Zamorna. 

Stancliffe's Hotel is a short work set in Angria, just after the Lord of Northangerland has led a failed rebellion against the Duke. Charlotte writes of the daily lives of the Angria populous and of the comings and goings at the hotel.

I am sorry to say I didn't get on well with this work. It may have been my mood at reading it but I found it tedious. The most amusing part was when Townshend and Sir William try and fail to fool the 'Rose of Zamorna' into receiving them at her home. I will be passing my copy onto a charity shop and hope it finds a good home with another reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment