Pages

Tuesday 24 March 2020

Just One Year

Just One Year by Gayle Forman


Published 7 November 2013 by Definitions

This is the sequel to Just One Day and will make much more sense if you read that book first - its wonderful!

It follows Willem as he wakes up in hospital in Paris with the nagging feeling he should be somewhere, with someone...

By the time he remembers, Lulu is gone and so are Willem's hopes of explaining - he doesn't even know Lulu's real name.

Over the course of a year we follow Willem as he tries to forget and then find Lulu. We get to meet his family and friends and get a glimpse of his nomadic lifestyle that led him to be performing Shakespeare in Stratford-upon-Avon the day Lulu's tour group were visiting.

I read this YA novel in one sitting. I was impatient to see Allyson (Lulu) and Willem reunite but that's the kind of soppy romantic I am. Willem's story however is still enjoyable and really fleshes out the spontaneous Dutchman we met in Just One Day. I especially enjoyed reading about his time in India and relationship with his mother. 

I'm very glad to have finally found out what happened after. I read Just One Day a long time ago and yet Forman's characters came straight back to me. 

If you love your YA romance and travelling, give this duology a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment