Pages

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Gone Girl

Gone Girl
 
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Published 24 May 2012 Phoenix
 
 
Read this thriller whilst under the weather which may have impaired my opinion of the book.
 
Good story with an intricate plot, strong characters and well-paced narrative. I found it clever. Intelligent.
 
The Observer newspaper describes Gone Girl as "Thriller of the Year". Well, it will not be making one of my best books lists. I remember hearing good things when the hardback was published and there was a loooooong reserve list for it at work so I waited for the paperback (as the hype continued to grow) and I have to admit, I was disappointed. I needed something...more.
 
I liked Nick from the start and found myself rooting for him throughout the book (which I doubt is the idea). I could never warm to Amazing Amy - there was just something...off. Can't say too much as I will give the game away!
 
The novel left me wondering just how well do you ever know someone?
 
This thriller would be great for readers groups. There could be plenty of discussion over pop and biscuits.
 
Gillian Flynn lives in Chicago. Gone Girl is her third novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment